Friday, June 3, 2011

Dr. Shannon would be Proud

Last night, I gave my Nepali refugee friends the low-down on how to have some good sex when they get married. Something you should know about me, is that I really enjoy talking about sex. Not necessarily the details of my own sex life--but sex in general. And to be honest, I think Christians need to talk about sex more. Sex is a good thing, people!! And good sex is a great thing.

Kels and I went to visit our Nepali friends in Wheaton one last time before she leaves for UG (UG stands for Uganda, by the way). Two of our  friends, who are around our ages, are in serious relationships that are heading for marriage. In their culture, it is so not okay to talk about sex with your elders. They would never ask a friend who is 10 years older than them to explain sex, it would be incredibly inappropriate. So they talk about it amongst themselves. It's like the blind leading the blind. They have no clue what they're talking about! Consequently, I offered to answer any of their sex-related questions--pro bono, of course.

The questions started. Have you ever had to explain to someone how to have good sex? Well, have you ever had to explain to someone who doesn't speak a lot of English how to have good sex? It is not an easy task. There were lots of hand motions, giggles, and "do-you-understands". I think I communicated some things pretty accurately and well. But other things...let's just say, I only laid the ground work.

One of the funniest things to me about this entire situation is: While I was explaining and gesturing their 285 year old Bojou (grandma), who doesn't speak (or understand) a lick of English, was sitting on the bed contently watching me making a fool of myself.

This is Bojou. Isn't she beautiful?

While Kelsey and I are over at their house Bojou mostly just sits, observes, laughs, and says something to us in Nepali that we can't understand. Anyways, last night was pretty successful. And I think I would have made my human sexuality professor, Dr. Shannon, proud.

-Sar

No comments:

Post a Comment